3 REASONS CHURCH MEMBERSHIP IS IMPORTANT
“So we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.” Romans 12:5
#1: Membership is biblical
The Bible (God’s written word) is an incredible resource for us. When it comes to church membership we need to ask if it is biblical. When we look at God’s word we see it is not a new thing. As a matter of fact, Christians became members of their local church throughout the New Testament.
- Church at Jerusalem (Acts 15:4)
- Church at Antioch (Acts 11:19)
- Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 1:2)
- Churches of Galatia (Galatians 1:2)
- Church at Ephesus (Ephesians 1:1)
- Church at Philippi (Philippians 1:1)
- Church at Colossae (Colossians 1:2)
- Church at Thessalonica (1 Thessalonians 1:1)
- The seven churches in Revelation (Revelation 2, 3)
#2: Membership is beneficial to the Body
How is membership beneficial to the local church? Membership provides the local church body with oversight. God doesn’t intend us to try and “figure this out” by ourselves. No, He has given us godly men and women to coach and instruct us (Acts 20:28, 1 Peter 5:2). Membership provides the local church body with opportunity to serve and care for one another (Galatians 6:10).
#3: Membership benefits the individual
- Membership provides unity. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13)
- Membership provides a God-given purpose. (1 Corinthians 12:14-18)
- Membership provides empowerment to reach your fullest potential. (1 Corinthians 12:19-25a)
- Membership provides you with all the unity, care, and life support you need. (1 Corinthians 12:25-26)
- Membership provides you with knowledge that you are a member of God’s family. (1 Corinthians 12:27)
WHAT MAKES ONE A CHURCH MEMBER?
At the moment of conversion, you become a “member” in the “universal” church.
Local Members of Christ’s Church
God’s word is clear that the first believers were identified with local congregations of believers – members of local churches. Why don’t you do a little self-led bible study and discover what the following passages teach us about local church membership.
- Romans 12:4–8
- 1 Corinthians 12:25–31; 14:12, 26
- Hebrews 10:24–25
- 1 Timothy 3:14–15